HeroClix Online Forums

Go Back   HeroClix Online Forums > Main Category > Rules Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM

bro, you were explaining the rules of the game to him during the game, of course he ran out of time lol....
Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

I agree that the current timer system is severely flawed. What's the point of accumulating points? I thought when you killed a fig you got points based on that figs point total, so that in the event time ran out, whoever had the highest point total would be the winner. I do think the idea of stalling out a game to win is a legitimate concern, but that's how it is in real heroclix. A point advantage can be huge if the timer is low and you are more maneuverable than your opponent. Of course, this only applies to tournament situations. If anyone ever tried to time me out in a friendly match I would hunt that person down... But anyway, my point is that a player should not straight-up lose the game if their timer expires. That is a horrible system and I agree 100% that it stacks the odds against larger teams.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM

I really can't see an overall problem with the current system - It's quite simple (Simple is good) - Shared time split in induvidual time - If the shared time runs out first, Point count decides - If the individual time runs out theres and automatic forfeit. Can't see how your opponent can stall as much as you state. As I see it his time would run out before the shared time and you would win. Also the length of time for the matches is fair, so you should be able to make all your moves/actions with the figs you've got. As there is 200/400p tournies, thats equals 4 actions. (with Leadership and some TA's a little more, but nothing that should make it impossible too hold the timelimits you've got).

This is just my opinion on the matter - Yes I've had time run out on me and Yes that is frustrating - But that was in the beginning. Later I've had no problems with time running out due to playerintend - Only due to lag-time or bugs in system that hindered/slowed control.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokelove View Post
I do think the idea of stalling out a game to win is a legitimate concern, but that's how it is in real heroclix.
No it's not, any judge who knows how to judge will not allow a player to take 5-6-7 mins to make any move or action and will issue a warning.

Plain and simple stalling like that taking 3-4-5 mins to make every action free or otherwise then taking that long to end the turn is cheating, and since they are do NOTHING about it Wizkids/Neca or whoever is in charge is condoning that and is okay with that type of play.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniksder View Post
No it's not, any judge who knows how to judge will not allow a player to take 5-6-7 mins to make any move or action and will issue a warning.

Plain and simple stalling like that taking 3-4-5 mins to make every action free or otherwise then taking that long to end the turn is cheating, and since they are do NOTHING about it Wizkids/Neca or whoever is in charge is condoning that and is okay with that type of play.
In all honesty, I've never played in a real heroclix tournament, so I don't know how a judge would actually handle a situation like that. All I know are the printed rules and regulations, and as far as I can tell, there are no rules limiting how much time you can use up during your turn. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. Regardless, that is an astoundingly horrible system and it should be changed.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
HeroClix Online Team Member

Just a couple points. I don't want to engage too heavily in the arguments here, but I thought I might pass this along.

1) We have heard your feedback and are investigating ways to improve the current timer system. I can't give you a timetable as to when you'll see these, but we're trying to design them with the intention to limit stall tactics.

2) Regardless of what solution we come up with for personal timers, there will always be an overall game timer for tournament matches. We have to be able to guarantee that a round's matches are 100% over several minutes before a second round begins.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM

Thanks Icarus. It's good to know you guys take our posts into consideration.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokelove View Post
In all honesty, I've never played in a real heroclix tournament, so I don't know how a judge would actually handle a situation like that. All I know are the printed rules and regulations, and as far as I can tell, there are no rules limiting how much time you can use up during your turn. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. Regardless, that is an astoundingly horrible system and it should be changed.

Might not be in the rules per say, but I can tell you this as a former judge, that in no way will any judge allow a player to stall the way they do online.

Lets say that after 2 turns there is 40 mins left in the round, and one person takes out 1 fig on other team, then proceeds to not do anything for the remainder of his turn and allow the time to expire for a win.

Now under your understanding of the rules that would be okay, but I can guarantee you that no "honest" knowledgable judge will allow that.

Judges do have the leeway to force a player to either make actions and or end their turn, I have in the past when observing this type of play extend the round for that game to let the "staller" know that the other player will get the chance to make actions.

The longer this is allowed to happen online, the more that to me it is being condoned by the powers that be and since money is being spent to play this game, not only are the players affected having the game cheated from them but their money stolen from them as well.

Simple way to correct this;

1. In 200 point games no clock, moves are limited, by either team size of 2 actions per turn, and most games wont last 20 mins due to that.

2. In higher point games, same thing no clock, go to last man standing, you cant tell me that they cant program the game to do that and once all matchs are done, it then should be programmed to automatically inform both winners that they have 5 mins until round starts.

To say they are working on it after this much time and have nothing yet to implement shows once again a lack of customer support from them to protect the players and the money they spend to play the game.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniksder View Post

Might not be in the rules per say, but I can tell you this as a former judge, that in no way will any judge allow a player to stall the way they do online.

Lets say that after 2 turns there is 40 mins left in the round, and one person takes out 1 fig on other team, then proceeds to not do anything for the remainder of his turn and allow the time to expire for a win.

Now under your understanding of the rules that would be okay.
I can't see how you can say something so wildly incorrect.....The chess clock keeps this from happening. If there is 40 minutes left in the match and you dont move for 20 of those minutes you lose, for stalling. Use your heads people and if you're going to whine and kvetch about the rules at least pick something where there is actually a problem....
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cala View Post
Look it is a broken system....its not the stalling by running away your figure.

Its when you can stall during the opponents combat phase and not click ready and eat up the opponents time after an attack.
I dont think you understand what we are talking about...

Your thinking the active player whose turn it is is stalling out during his turn.
That is not the case.

It is your turn. You attack and the ready screen pops up you click it and your opponent doesnt...your timer is on the clock not his.
The timer finally passed the timeout period and goes to the next action. He doesnt click ready again. Its your clock that is expiring.