HeroClix Online Forums

Go Back   HeroClix Online Forums > Main Category > Game Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Aborting instead of playing through a loss?

WTF is up with this the last few weeks? Had an hour for a game this afternoon, played a guy (tauaircaste) and was off to a decent start against his 3 Things team (another thread possibility there, as he had no reason for wanting to test/play 3 Things) About 6 rounds into it, after he'd seen me hit about 60% of my Shape Change rolls and his attack rolls admittedly suck, he Aborted. This is not even close to the first time I have seen this recently.

I've yet to abort a game for win/loss reasons, even if my butt is getting kicked. I thought it was pretty clearly stated that at this stage the game is not about winning or losing, but testing actual game play of as many figs/SPs/ rules interactions as possible.

So I have this ridiculously bad record, something like 9-23, because about ten times in the past couple months I've had people abort away from a game that would be a fairly one sided victory for me. I stick with those one sided games when they go against me, until the bitter end. Like most, I hope, the only reason I've ever aborted was when no other option remained to resolve a frozen game.

So I guess my issue/question is this? Since we cannot rate a player from an aborted game (like we can for an opponenent we play a whole game with), is there ANY adverse consequence planned for players that do this habitually? It would suck to have a basically .500 or above record that shows up as something significantly worse because pussbags duck out of a game that's not going to result in a win?

I think we can all understand the frustration if players can drop out of games going against them, and only have ones they win go into their "record".
Old 06-05-2011, 04:15 PM

I have the same problem with quitters. Far too many players just quit when things turn against them... not just on games they can't possibly win, but just after losing a character or taking an unexpected hit. No explanation or excuses given.
And that is during playtest, when your ranks don't really matter. I fear that, when the game is released, it could become much worse...

I know that the system keeps track of W/L/Q, but the quit part should be given more weight. Maybe have a minimum ratio of quits/games above which the player name is highlited so people can avoid him, for example.
Or, better yet: make quits count as losses as well, so there is no point in quiting to avoid losing. An make a "draw" option that both players can agree on, for when you are not losing and really need to leave, but don't want to mess your scores.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elda King View Post
Or, better yet: make quits count as losses as well, so there is no point in quiting to avoid losing. An make a "draw" option that both players can agree on, for when you are not losing and really need to leave, but don't want to mess your scores.
Great idea- How many times have we all been in a close game, or at least one that is not determined yet, when a leadership freeze, no confirmation of action icon, or some other bug, prevents any further action? You're stuck! A draw option could be agreed upon in the chat window (I've yet to have that freeze up, even if no other option or control was working), and both parties could draw 'out' of a game.

Anyone else having issues with quitters as opposed to losing?

Moderators, is there a plan to control this for when the game goes public? It would be horrible if cherry pickers can withdraw from a game before losing, and only play through games that they will win?!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Arrgghh, 2 for 2 with quitters today!

Okay, it happened again! Just now, and I was winning with about 5 minutes left in a regular 300 point game against "sammy".

Had 2 of 3 figures KO'd, his fandral near death, and Aborted! So, no victory, once again, like the 7th time in the past 10 days or so.

Again, I know we aren't supposed to care about W/L, but this is getting ridiculous!! Can we please make withdrawing from a game when behind in points a loss?!

Is there any disincentive to escaping from a game when losing?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 AM
HeroClix Online Team Member

We're going to take this under advisement. I'm not sure whether there will be a "draw" feature in future, but we are going to look into a way to disincentivize quitting rather than losing.

This may or may not include adding a loss to the forfeiting player. We are wary of adding a win to the remaining player's ratio (as that can be exploited), but we'll try to think up a better way to handle this than what we're currently doing.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Aborting

Two things....

1) Yes it sucks when people abort...but remember this is only testing and wins and losses don't matter...but it is frustrating...

2) Just do what MTGO does...after 5 min of disconnect/no game play (whatever you want to call it) that person gets and auto loss and the other an auto win

seems pretty simple to me
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harndog View Post
Two things....

1) Yes it sucks when people abort...but remember this is only testing and wins and losses don't matter...but it is frustrating...

2) Just do what MTGO does...after 5 min of disconnect/no game play (whatever you want to call it) that person gets and auto loss and the other an auto win

seems pretty simple to me
QFT. Harndog just beat me to it.

You will also need to have a redemption request form for people who get lagged out due to server/tech issues and lose product (when playing sealed) or lose their tournament entry because the server booted them for some unknown reason.

But, yes, for people who join a game, see they are getting beaten and just leave, the game needs to have a 10 minute disconnection/inaction timer and give the opponent a match win.

Side note, all games should also have a unique game ID of some sort so people reporting bugs in the future will be able to just tell you which game they were playing in by the game ID number, and all game actions, notifications, information, player communication will need to be logged under that game ID on your servers. That way it will be easier to determine what the issues were when someone reports an issue.

Again, this is all stuff that MTGO does currently.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM

When I reported this as a bug, TPTB explained that when someone aborts a game the other guy doesn't get a win because they feel people will sign on with a friend and have the friend abort just to give that player an easy win.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 PM

That's why they need to have different ranks, and only for sanctioned tournaments - not just a W/L/T score. Sealed tourney rank, constructed tourney rank, etc...

Who cares about match w/l in pick-up games?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM

I was in a game the other night. We were playing a 1000 point match and I had 9 characters vs this guy's 3. So each of my turns would take 6-10 minutes to move 6-9 figures. He was taking at least 3-5 minutes for each of his 3 characters, with a total of 9-15 minutes per turn. It was beyond frustrating, and I proceded to ask him to speed it up, as it was late. Way to late to be playing so slow. He would not pick up the pace, so I eventually just told him he won & quit. Do I feel bad about it, no.