HeroClix Online Forums

Go Back   HeroClix Online Forums > Main Category > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:52 AM

Lightbulb Constructed Formats for 2014: "Competitive" vs. "Fun"

For future Constructed tournaments, I kindly ask that you consider two types of play: Open and Restricted.

Competition is healthy, if all parties are aware of what is involved.

Open would work like the current format. Anything that you can think of that fits within the event's guidelines, is valid. No apologies/excuses necessary. This is as close to meta-level convention play as you will find on HCO. The best player-- rolls willing-- will prevail. Enter at your own risk!

Restricted creates an environment in which both opponents' teams are balanced; skill is necessary, but success will rely mostly on die/dice rolls, as opposed to exploiting one or more overpowered mechanics or character synergy. A broader range of characters will be prevented in this format, either by point cost or keyword.

In general, players should be aware that the current format of Constructed will more often support a very competitive environment. Also, since Constructed is not a free format, there is more at stake, especially for those returning to HCO after a long hiatus, new players, or those wanting specific prizes.

It is unfortunate that some formats-- White Christmas as of this post-- will be dominated by one or two team builds, but it is ultimately HCO's call to take action in the future to promote fair play and enjoyment.

Hopefully, all players will have more options in 2014. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by spider_ham; 12-27-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 AM

In the meantime, preventing colossals from being used in Constructed games would go a long way: Not everyone has Shuma-Gorath-- or can obtain one easily-- and face it (and Mole Man) in every 300 point Modern event.

Exceptions would be tournaments with higher builds (400+ pts) that prevent sub-200 point figures from being used, or colossal-only.

Thank You

Last edited by spider_ham; 01-17-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 AM

Is there any way we can just have 2 versions of every tournament? I'm not sure how much work it take sot program so I apologize if I just made the devs do a spit take...

If there were 1 tournament you could click on that was anything goes (as long as it fits the parameters) and another you could click on that had the build parameters plus some restrictions suggested by the players... we would have more happy players.

It is terrible for both players when 1 guy brings the heat (Shuma) and the other brings a less cutthroat team. It sets up situations where opponents get upset with each other.

"I thought we said no Shuma?"

"I had no idea I just saw there were 3 in the queue and jumped in".

If we used player input for the restrictions, it would also create a sense of ownership for the players. They would play more often and visit the forums more.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM
HeroClix Online Team Member

I put in some logging to get metrics on which figures are the most powerful in the current meta. I'm considering having a rotating ban list for constructed tournaments that changes every week to help keep things from stagnating.

What are your thoughts on that?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM

To answer your question directly: banning different figures each work would not help as there would always be a Rock. Please read the rest of my post to see what I mean by a Rock.

I think creating two tournament formats is a waste of time. I say this because what you would see is players only playing the so called "banned" or "fun" format. That means you would have an alternative that would never be played. It would be better to simply ban the meta figures we are complaining about. Now I want you to understand something. I do not like banning anything from the game but HCO is an incomplete game. It has a moderate partial availability of figures and tactics that are offered on the tabletop game. Tabletop figures has a diverse Meta at the moment and is a rock, paper, scissors game. By introducing certain figures to this game you have created a bunch of Rocks.

My recommendation is to ban certain figures from the constructed format. These are: Shuma, Fantomex, Dracula (both) and Nightcrawler with certainty. Consideration should be given to GhostRider and Morgan Le Fey. Some would also say Switch and Hot Cap. I personally have no problem with any of the last four figures but the first four are ridiculous and should have not been introduced into HCO as it now stands.

Lastly, please listen. WE LOVE SEALED TOURNAMENTS. The reason we do not play them is because we have all the figures and/or it isn't cost efficient. Create a sealed for 50 cb's with a prize and 0 cb payout but where players do not keep the figures. If you can make it optional where players can keep the figures but have to play a higher amount that would be even better. If you create this format, we WILL play it. Not only WILL we play it but we WILL play it a lot.

Howard

Last edited by howard brock; 01-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM

I like the sealed but not keeping the pulls idea. Also I would suggest banning the mystical and martial artist keyword from constructed to get rid of most of the cheese.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 PM
HeroClix Online Team Member

Posts made January 16th and 17th have been moved to the Game Discussion forum so that we don't have two threads dealing with the same subject

Closing this thread now.
Closed Thread