HeroClix Online Forums

Go Back   HeroClix Online Forums > Main Category > Rules Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 AM

Just played a game and the game didn't register it right. I pulse waved his fig with a perplex'd up defense for the ko as it was the only one in the blast radius and would have taken full damage. The game didn't ignore the perplex'd defense, as pulse wave ignores all game elements, including modifiers. I miss by one, which should have it because again, the game counted the perplex'd up defense still. He then flurries/ko's my fig next turn, instead of being ko'd. I went from having a fig top dial and ko'ing one of his last figs (one also being on its last click), to losing a fig and him still being able to flurry/outwit. That figure was then to able to keep going and ko another one of my figures, instead of being ko'd like it should have been?

What do we do in situations like this?

Give this character a ranged combat action even if it is adjacent to an opposing character; the area of effect for this attack is half the character’s range. Draw lines of fire to all other characters within the area of effect, including at least one opposing character; these lines of fire ignore all game effects except for walls, blocking and elevated terrain. Game effects possessed or used by characters with a line of fire drawn to them are ignored until the action has been resolved. If a line of fire is drawn to more than 1 character, this character’s damage value becomes 1 and is locked. Each character hit is dealt damage.
Facebook.com/djjakewilliams
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
HeroClix Online Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeterey View Post
Just played a game and the game didn't register it right. I pulse waved his fig with a perplex'd up defense for the ko as it was the only one in the blast radius and would have taken full damage. The game didn't ignore the perplex'd defense, as pulse wave ignores all game elements, including modifiers. I miss by one, which should have it because again, the game counted the perplex'd up defense still. He then flurries/ko's my fig next turn, instead of being ko'd. I went from having a fig top dial and ko'ing one of his last figs (one also being on its last click), to losing a fig and him still being able to flurry/outwit. That figure was then to able to keep going and ko another one of my figures, instead of being ko'd like it should have been?

Give this character a ranged combat action even if it is adjacent to an opposing character; the area of effect for this attack is half the character’s range. Draw lines of fire to all other characters within the area of effect, including at least one opposing character; these lines of fire ignore all game effects except for walls, blocking and elevated terrain. Game effects possessed or used by characters with a line of fire drawn to them are ignored until the action has been resolved. If a line of fire is drawn to more than 1 character, this character’s damage value becomes 1 and is locked. Each character hit is dealt damage.

As you state, "game effects possessed or used by characters with a line of fire drawn to them are ignored until the action has been resolved." In the case of Perplex, in order for the effect of Perplex to be ignored, a line of fire must be drawn to the character using Perplex, as it is the power itself which is ignored, not the effect.

If the character that was targeted by Pulse Wave was not the character using Perplex, then the modification to its Defense value should have remained. Since Pulse Wave halves your range, it's easy for this to happen.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeterey View Post

Reading the description, it reads that the target of the Pulse Wave is not the one who Perplexed up his own defense. It was another figure that was outside of the area of effect of the Pulse Wave.

In this situation, as dzebra explained, the modifier from Perplex would still be applied to the target's defense during the attack. The game handled the rules interactions correctly and this would not be a bug. The match is going to count as reported.

In the future, whenever you think a rule or power was not applied correctly, get a screencap of it. That way the GMs or myself can see the whole game state when something happened to see if there was a bug or not.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 PM
HeroClix Online Team Member

Default Pulse Wave Discussion

Copied from League reporting thread.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Just to clarify these last statements, since I was his opponent: Scarlet Witch perplexed Catwoman's defense that was standing in front of Green Lantern. So Catwoman was blocking LoF to Scarlet Witch.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 PM

PW ignores figures for LoF, but the perplexER sounds like they were out of the "blast zone" which is why the perplex would still count.